Tuesday, August 12, 2008

New Chain Maille Fascination

I love jewelry. I don't wear it much, since I'm usually working at home. But I do love it.

I enjoy helping my children when they design their jewelry. I would like to sell what I make, but with a wonderful jewelry maker at the Elmsdale Farmers Market (and she really does fabulous silver wire-work), I wanted to go in a different direction in case I decided to take things to the market for sale.

So, I decided to try out chain maille. And I've fallen in love (once again!). It's very time consuming, and it took me 3 evenings to make my first bracelet (which was a fairly simple Byzantine weave), but after a few repetitions it went fairly smoothly. And if I hadn't been watching the Olympics at the same time I probably would have finished it much quicker :)

Anyway, here are some pics. After some practice, I'd like to offer some pieces in copper, fine silver, and possibly 10k solid gold (even though it's expensive...)


10 comments:

Unknown said...

OMGosh!!! That is absolutely gorgeous work for your first work with chain maille!!!! Good for you. I love chain maille too. I can't seem to understand some of the tutorials and I get rather flustered with a lot of it. But you sure have a good feel for it. Good luck with your new adventure!

Deanna Lack said...

That is a very fine byzantine. I'm hoping maybe the contest you looked at sparked some of your interest cause that'd be cool. When you get some goodies in your shop please look us up at the Chainmaillers' Guild.

I'm dropping by to tell you you won the drawing, too. Convo The Chainmaille Lady (all one word) on Etsy and she'll get your address and stuffs.

Good luck with your maille. I will warn you -- it's TERRIBLY addicting :)

The ChainMaille Lady said...

Congradulations on your first piece of chainmaille!! Warning: ChainMaille can be highly addictive!! :)

eeniemoni said...

Wow, how absolutely stunning!
Is it ok, if I'll add you to my blog reads on the side of my blog?

Clean & Bright Soaps and Candles said...

Thank you all so much :)
I've been working with copper, "perfecting" my Byzantine weave, at every trampoline class, guitar class, and karate class I take the kids to :) Works out to 4.5 hours of chain maille a week.

And Moni, I would love to have you add my blog - I guess that means I'll need to update my blog on a more regular basis ;)

eeniemoni said...

lol, yes you do, Jody. I just added you ;)

Lisa Abdul-Quddus said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Sue Frelick said...

Wow, Jody! You are so very talented. Is there anything you can't do? :-)

Sue Frelick said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Clean & Bright Soaps and Candles said...

Thanks, Sue :) Lots of things I can't do, though... like sew, drive a standard, get my kids to do housework ;)