Friday, May 15, 2009

New England Clam-less Chowder

In the search for some yummy meatless meals that the whole family will enjoy, I found a recipe for New England Clam-less Chowder. I haven't made it yet, but I plan on doing so this weekend for supper. I'll make the veggie stock today to use as a base, and I'll make the soup tonight. I'm hoping to take the kids on a mini-adventure to a beach tomorrow if the weather co-operates, but it is supposed to be drizzly so a good pot of hot, homemade soup will be the perfect pick-me-up when we get back :)

New England Clam-less Chowder

1 tbsp canola oil
2 tsp soy sauce or tamari
4 oz firm tofu, finely diced
1 tbsp margarine
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely diced
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
4 cups vegetable stock or water
3 medium potatoes, scrubbed and diced
3 cups corn kernels
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried summer savory or marjoram
2 cups low fat milk or soy milk, or as needed
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Heat oil & soy sauce or tamari slowly in medium-sized skillet. Stir diced tofu in quickly to coat, then turn heat up to medium high. Saute, stirring frequently, until browned and crisp on all sides, about 12-15 minutes. When done, remove from heat and set aside until needed.
In meantime, heat margarine in soup pot. Add onion and celery and saute over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is golden, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle in flour a little at a time. Slowly stir in stock or water, then add potato dice, corn kernels, and dried herbs. Bring to simmer, then simmer gently, covered, until potatoes are tender and corn kernels are done, about 20-25 minutes.
With back of wooden spoon, mash small amount of potatoes to thicken base. Then add milk or soy milk as needed; soup should be semi thick but no overly dense. Slowly bring to gentle simmer, then season to taste with salt and pepper. If time allows, let soup stand off heat for an hour or two before serving, then heat through as needed.
Serves 6-8.

I'm looking forward to making (and eating!) this - it looks pretty darn tasty, eh?

Happiness Thought of the Day:
"Try to find happiness with as many different people as you can."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, looks really good. I might try this weekend too!

Clean & Bright Soaps and Candles said...

If you do, Laura, I'd love to hear what you think of it :)

Anonymous said...

Well, I finally got to try this recipe. It turned out pretty good. I think this is the first time I made corn soup. I'm going to try it again and experiment with it. Thanks!